Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer

I am receiving unemployment benefits in Massachusetts. 5

Customer Question

I am receiving unemployment benefits in Massachusetts. 5 weeks ago I accepted a part time, fee-for-service job. There is a 90 day probationary period. Can I leave this job now without it affecting my unemployment? I know normally if one quits a job while receiving unemployment they no longer qualify but if one quits during the 90 day probationary period is it just considered a nonhire or is it still considered quitting?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma.

You'd still be considered to be quitting if you were to leave your new job during the probationary period. If they choose not to hire you based on something that is not your fault, then you can go back and reopen your claim for benefits going forward. But because one of the requirements of receiving benefits is that you accept work if it is offered, you will lose your benefits if you leave the new job without just cause - something like they're asking you to do something illegal. You might not lose full benefits if the job is only part time (depending on the pay and how much you're getting), but you could lose a good chunk of them.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any more questions about this?