Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I was off threatening an officer but I didn't threaten

Customer Question

I was laid off for supposedly threatening an officer but I didn't threaten anyone so they put it under investigation. Every time I call they tell me that someone is reviewing the files, they have cameras there that I know can show how the officer was harrasing me. I have been calling the main office for a couple months to complain about the officer but no one ever contacted me. I've told supervisors at the job that he didn't like me cause if I would ask him for some help he always denied me. My question is Do I have a case? I need my job and not working has really hurt me financially. I have four children who depend on me.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

The general rule is that employment in the state of Mississippi is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated, suspended or modified for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for the adverse action is fair, reasonable or even TRUE.

Thus, there is nothing inherently illegal about laying off or suspending an employee on the basis of an allegation of misconduct, even if that misconduct never actually occurred. Unfortunately, all you can do in these situations is attempt to persuade your employer that termination is unwarranted. You can also apply for unemployment benefits to help you out financially while you look for new work. I am truly sorry that there are not better options or more legal protection, but of course all I can do is explain the law as it applies to your situation. I trust you will appreciate my efforts to be honest and candid with you.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

Was there anything else I can do to assist you here?