Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I relocated to Minnesota from California 7 months ago, my

Customer Question

Hello, I relocated to Minnesota from California 7 months ago, my job paid for the relocation cost but I was never given an agreement or contract to sign. I am now resigning from my position here and going back to California due to issues with my new boss who took over my district 5 months ago and we haven't had a good relationship so I am leaving after being with the company 3 years, and relocating across the country 3 times. I am being told that I have to pay a prorated amount of that relocation cost, even though I never signed anything or agreed to anything. Is this right?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

It would not be illegal to require the repayment of relocation costs if the employee signed an agreement specifically assuming such responsibility. However, this responsibility does not arise automatically as a matter of law. If an employee does not sign an agreement to repay relocation costs, then an employer has no basis whatsoever to demand repayment. The employer assumes the risk that they will spend money on an employee who will then leave. This is the nature of business.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.