Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer

Can a company pay a 15 year old to do simple duties at home

Customer Question

Can a company pay a 15 year old to do simple duties at home for the company?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

North Carolina law allows 14 and 15-year-olds to work during non-school hours in specified non-hazardous, non-manufacturing jobs, for up to 40 hours a week when school is not in session. They're only allowed to work from 7 am to 9 pm (until Labor Day, then that drops to 7 pm). During school, they can work up to 18 hours a day, no more than 3 hours on a school day. A 15-year-old cannot work more than 8 hours on a non-school day.

There are several jobs a 15-year-old is prohibited from doing. The primary one that could be relevant to working in the home is baking (but they can prepare food). Take a look at this site to get an idea of what they may or may not do.

The child will have to get a work permit, even if they're working for a family business. Here is a link to the application:

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any more questions about this?