Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

I was asked to leave my job reason after I signed a

Customer Question

I was asked to leave my job for no reason after I signed a contract. What options do I have. I have no written reprimands or write ups in my file. i was told I had to leave effective immediately.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I am a high school principal who was told I am no longer the principal. I was not given any notice or reason. However, I signed a full year contract.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Your rights here will depend on the nature of that contract that you signed. If it requires cause for termination, then your rights here are to sue based on that contract itself. Your rights are entirely controlled by that contract though. In the absence of a contract, people can be terminated without cause, so only the contract establishes the right to sue.

So, if the contract specifies that termination requires cause, you then should look at whether or not the contract defines what cause can be (some give a specific list of potential causes).

The fact that you were given no cause when asked to leave really puts the employer in a legal bind later on, because any cause they name later would be considered self serving.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They are willing to pay me for six months of the contract. It technically isn't termination.

It is termination if you are not being permitted to work out the completion of the contract.

Paying you 6 months of the contract is a settlement, but if that is less than the entirety of the contract, then you still have a breach of the agreement unless the agreement allows an early termination of the agreement.

Now, all that said, 6 months of a contract is a very good settlement on these facts and ultimately you would be hard pressed to get more from a lawsuit for breach, after paying an attorney their fee.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No thank you.

Please be sure request me if you need help in the future, and if I've provided you with satisfactory service, don't forget to give a top-three rating on this page.