Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I have a Master Service Agreement with a major oil company.

Customer Question

I have a Master Service Agreement with a major oil company. Is it legal for an employee to work behind you back with management get an MSA when there was pay off involved. He was employed by us for 4 months while he was doing work for his company and ours. The same company man was signing tickets for both companies.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

1. Are you saying that the oil company violated your MSA by giving this employee his own MSA?

2. Is there anything in your MSA that gives you an exclusive territory?

3. It does appear that the employee also may have breached a fiduciary duty to act in your best interest. Can you tell me more about how he may have used his position at your company to secure his own MSA?

4. Does he now compete against you in your assigned territory?