hrpro37, Sr. Director, Human Resources
Experience:  10+ years of experience in human resources roles with a specialization in employment law

My husband was red as a contract employee. He was red to

Customer Question

My husband was hired as a contract employee. He was hired to work on a specific project for a specific length of time. My husband was performing his duties above and beyond what was required of him to meet his contract. His employer just fired him because he "wasn't happy." The reason my husband "wasn't happy" was because the employer did not provide him with necessary items that he (the employer) was required by the federal government to provide. At the meeting when my husband got fired, his boss had my husband's replacement attend the meeting. This person was not management and had no need to be at the meeting. Was this an invasion of my husband's privacy? If my husband met all the requirement of the contract, could he be fired for no reason.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

As a contract employee, the ability for the company to terminate the contract would be based on the specific terms of the contract. If the contract says nothing about termination than the company is within it's right to terminate the contract at any time.

In addition, as long as the organization did not provide the new hire with any specific personal information at the termination meeting (birth date, social security number, pay rate) they would not be in violation of any privacy laws.

My best advice is to look over the written contract that your husband had with the organization and identify if there were any specific terms regarding termination.

Feel free to ask follow up questions if needed and please don't forget to rate me so that I receive credit for addressing your question.

Thank you,