John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.

As a salaried employee are you entitled to overtime?

Customer Question

Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 3 months ago.

Generally the answer is no - salaried employees do not get overtime regardless of hours worked. However, the bigger question is whether the person is properly classified as salaried. TO be salaried (exempt from overtime) the employee must be paid at least $455 per workweek regardless of hours worked, and be part of the exempt class of employee - namely manager, professional, outside sales, computer programmers and high level administrators. If they are not paid on a salary basis and in this class the employer cannot classify them as salaried exempt and must pay overtime.

Expert:  John replied 3 months ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 3 months ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.