Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.

My past employer is giving out false info ,the new manager,

Customer Question

my past employer is giving out false info ,the new manager, that took my place, is telling the general public I was doing such a bad job that I was fired, that is not true , I txt my rvp and told him I quit!!!! I was never told or have anything that would lead me to think I was fixing to be fired, just got fed up and quit.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

You may have a viable claim for defamation. Actually, you would start with a cease and desist letter to anyone making these false accusations.

If this does not get a retraction, you will need to file suit for defamation. This cause of action is specifically for damage caused to one's reputation. To establish a prima facie case of defamation, four elements are generally required:

1. a false statement purporting to be fact concerning another person or entity;

2. publication or communication of that statement to a third person;

3. fault on the part of the person making the statement amounting to intent or at least negligence; and,

4. some harm caused to the person or entity who is the subject of the statement.

This involves complex litigation and it is strongly advised that you retain local counsel to assist you in protecting your rights before taking any action in this matter.

If you need assistance in finding an attorney, contact your state or local bar association. You can also try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

It is a huge worldwide database of attorneys searchable by location and specialty.