Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

My name is ellen l worked in whole foods market in 20 years

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** worked in whole foods market in 20 years lhad a 8 years old daughter in september my new team leader want to chsnge my schedule in what ever they put what time lneed to work if lcant work only wotk part time. I by my self to pay my apartment csuse my husband left me and my rent is $1400 and monday to friday my daughter school bus come at 4oclock l need be there this time to pick her up only tue and thru my sister elsie can pick her up cause in her day off. Aother wise monday wed fri only me can pick her up so what can l do now
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the information, do you have a legal question? If so, can you please be clear about what it is and also what you are alleging that your employer is doing that is unlawful (if anything), and why you think they are doing this?

Hello again--I do not provide phone consultations because of my Bar ethics rules. However, I can continue with you online via this forum, if you will answer my questions I have for you. If not, then feel free to opt out of working with me and someone will help you when they are available.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I need your help so l can work that three days early shift so lcan pick up my daughtercause l need take bus from greenich to stamfotd

I think we are having a communication breakdown as your response did not cover the issues I asked about, so I am going to opt out of working on your question and another Expert will attempt to assist you. Someone will let you know when they have an answer for you. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, as your previous contributor had to leave.
Under Connecticut law, your employment is deemed at will. An at will employer can make an employee work whatever hours they need them to work. An at will employee has no legal right to their job, but must do whatever the employer requires them to do. The only protection an at will employee has under law is to be free from actions based only on the age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the employee. So, unfortunately, the employer does not have to make accommodation for an employee's personal needs, such as child care or picking up your child. There is no law in Connecticut saying that you have a right to demand hour changes. The only thing you can do is try to negotiate with the employer, but if the employer needs you for particular hours then you would have to work, because if you do not go to work the employer can fire you for good cause which would even be grounds to deny you the right to unemployment benefits.