John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I am a salary employee red in a management position. Since

Customer Question

I am a salary employee hired in a management position. Since Jan of this year I have been out in the field working as a staff RN. I have had to do weekends, night admissions, work overtime without extra pay, go without lunch but forced to put down that I have had lunch breaks. Today my COO called me into his office and informed me that when our weekend nurse quits which her last day is July 31, 2016 that I will be the RN on the weekends as well until they hire another nurse. It has taken us until this past week to hire a dependable RN to work during the week. He is telling me that because I am management I will have to do this for an undetermined amount of time which could be months. In other words I will have to work seven days a week for an undetermined amount of time with no added pay and no days off. Is this legal?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.

The issue here is that while you are labeled management, the work you are doing is staff nursing. So the management exemption does not apply. There's another issue, however, in that nurses (even staff nurses without management responsibility) are professionally exempt, but, for whatever reason, employers have always paid nurses hourly and not even tried to exempt them. So where does this leave you? I think that you could make an argument to the COO that because you are essentially relegated to being a staff nurse that you should be paid hourly and overtime for all hours over 40 per workweek while you are doing this and returned to exempt when your duties return to management as that would be internally consistent with the way your employer treats nurses. If he doesn't buy that, then I believe you should ask for a raise or bonus to reflect their expectations.

What is clearly illegal is not giving you a lunch break at all. That's illegal under KY law meal breaks are mandatory for all in the medical field.

Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.