Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

If my husband quits s job- he is paid salary plus commission

Customer Question

If my husband quits his job- he is paid salary plus commission and his quarterly commission is due to be paid out - he will be putting on a. 2 week noticed- does the employer have to pay him that 2nd quarters commission Minnesota
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

This depends. Did he sign a contract when he began this work? If so, does he have a copy and can you attach it to your reply?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No formal contract
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Thank you.
He should receive the commission if he's earned it, even if he ends the employment prior to the commission normally being paid out.
However, the employer can try to claim that the commission was never agreed upon, and thus, does not have to be paid, and that it was basically being paid as a bonus.
If so, the ex-employee can go to court, but then this will be extra time and effort.
To avoid this type of situation, someone in your husband's situation may wish to wait until the commission is paid before putting in the two weeks notice, just in case.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.