Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

Ma'am My wife used to work at Macys in Mesa AZ. She's

Customer Question

Hello Sir/Ma'am
My wife used to work at Macys in Mesa AZ. She's received commendations for the best in sales and customer service numerous times. One fine day she gave a discount to a VIP customer, which she did not know that this customer had a scheme of receiving discounts, then returning the item to get more discounts. The security department of Macys terminated my wife for it. First, her manager authorized her to give discounts, especially to VIP customers. They are encouraged to have relationships with their customers for them to keep coming back. The security supervisor accused my wife of in cahoots with the customer. I believe they did it because my wife came from the country which the VIP customer came from. The fact of the matter is that my wife had no idea that this VIP customer is doing that scheme. She only found out when she was terminated. Furthermore, the security supervisor, intimidated and forced my wife to sign an agreement that she owed Macys $5000 for the unauthorized discount. My wife's English is ok, but there were words they used on her that she did not understand. There is more stuff that they did to her, but I can't write everything here. The security supervisor even instructed her not to tell me, her husband, of what happened. Can you believe that? I believe she's been discriminated and coerced. Please help.
Lee (###) ###-####
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hi Lee,

I am very sorry to hear about this. Did she sign the agreement acknowledging that she owed her employer $5,000? What did this customer purchase that resulted in $5,000 of unauthorized discounts? I ask because that is a lot of money to spend in a department store, let alone to have discounted from a price. I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.