hrpro37
hrpro37, Sr. Director, Human Resources
Experience:  10+ years of experience in human resources roles with a specialization in employment law
80178101

POZO AND i HAVE A SMALL BUSINESS IN CALIFORNIA THAT PROVIDES

Customer Question

MY NAME IS***** i HAVE A SMALL BUSINESS IN CALIFORNIA THAT PROVIDES SERVICES TO DEVELOPMENTALLY DISABLED ADULTS. I UNDERSTAND THE WAGE ORDER 15 REGARDING THE MAXIMUM AMOUNTS ONE AS AN EMPLOYER CAN CHARGE A LIVE IN AIDE FOR LODGING. THE ORDER IS VERY CLEAR AS TO HOW MUCH ONE CAN CHARGE A SINGLE PERSON OR A COUPLE, IN CASE BOTH ARE HIRED BY THE COMPANY; HOWEVER I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND WHAT THE REGULATIONS ARE IN REGARDS ***** ***** SPOUSES/PARTNERS WHO ARE NOT EMPLOYED BY THE COMPANY. SPECIFICALLY SPEAKING, I HAVE A PERSON IN MIND WHO MAY BE A LIVE IN AIDE FOR ONE OF MY DISABLED CLIENTS. I CAN, THEN, BY LAW, CHARGE HIM UP TO AN SPECIFIC AMOUNT OF RENT TO LIVE WITH THIS CLIENT. NOW, THIS STAFF WANTS TO BRING HIS FIANCEE TO LIVE WITH HIM BUT THE FIANCE DOES NOT WANT TO WORK FOR THE COMPANY. I KNOW I CAN CHARGE UP TO 835 (I THINK IT IS), FOR A COUPLE WHERE BOTH ARE EMPLOYED, BUT WHAT ABOUT IN THIS CASE? CAN I CHARGE THE SAME AMOUNT TO THE COUPLE EVEN THOUGH THE FIANCE IS NOT AN EMPLOYEE? IN OTHER WORDS, HOW MUCH CAN I CHARGE MY LIVE-IN AIDE IF HE SHARES HIS BEDROOM WITH HIS PARTNER, WHO IS NOT EMPLOYED BY THE COMPANY? PLEASE ADVICE.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 5 months ago.

Good Evening,

In this case, you could charge your live-in aide $564.81 per month and also charge the aide's fiance a separate amount of rent which would not be governed by wage order 15. Since the employee's fiance is not going to be an employee of yours, you can legally charge any amount of rent that you would like to her.

Feel free to ask follow up questions if you would like and please don't forget to rate me so that I receive credit for answering your question.

Thank you!

Amber