Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

We're trying to figure out if my partner's ex spouse as

Customer Question

We're trying to figure out if my partner's ex spouse as installed spy software on her child's phone (to spy on us when he's with us)... and I'm wondering about the legality of such an action in California. I know CA is a two party consent state. But could recordings be legal if he was using it to "protect his child"? Would that be work around to two-party consent?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: CA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: That's about it I guess
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 3 months ago.

Yes I think that as a parent the courts would grant leeway on this since a child cannot legally consent. Their defense that they were merely protecting the child would be hard to overcome.

Let me know if you have additional questions otherwise a positive rating is appreciated