Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator

Does federal law allow borrowing against my 1199SEIU pension

Customer Question

Does federal law allow borrowing against my 1199SEIU pension for other than a home if I am fully vested?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 3 months ago.

Yes, federal allow allows this type of borrowing, though the amount you can borrow is limited. If you are purchasing your principal place of residence, have been approved for a mortgage and are vested, you can borrow a sum between $1,000 and $7,500 to pay the down payment or closing costs. However, the amount of your loan cannot exceed 1/2 of the present value of the pension you have earned when you apply for the loan.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE STARS) on the ratings interface on your end so I can receive credit for my work.

Thank you and best wishes!

Just checking to see if you have any additional questions? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks