Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I was suspended without pay days Ethics violation in the

Customer Question

Hi Pearl - I was suspended without pay for 5 days for an Ethics violation in the company I work for - Improper contact with a supplier. I am refuting the allegation because I had authorization from the Supplier Management group stating I can talk to the supplier. This is documented in the investigation report. I am wanting to get this reversed and reimbursement of wages and punitive damages. Since I have never been in this type of situation I am lost. How can I fight this?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Washington
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Briefly...but I didn't feel the lawyer had time to talk
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: yes..false statements in the investigation report. False statement by Human Resources witnessed by my manager and a second manager.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 5 months ago.

Hello there --

-

I am sorry to hear about this -- can I ask you a few questions?

-

1. Are you a union member ? (is it a union shop)?

-

2. If no union, do you have a written employment contract with the employer or are you an employee at will?

3. This "rule" you violated -- is it written in an employee handbook or was it passed out in writing as a directive to employees?

-

4. I assume that this was written up and placed in your file -- did you sign anything (a document with the warning on it)?

-

Once you answer these questions, please give me a few minutes to respond (I type slowly).

-

MARY