LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  30 years legal experience and I keep current in Employment Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

What can I do if I am being harassed by my ex employer and

Customer Question

What can I do if I am being harassed by my ex employer and she is accusing me of things that I did not do. Furthermore, she continues to threatened calling the police and law suits.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon Daisy,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Is the ex employer telling other people these false allegations or is she only telling you?

2. What are the nature of the accusations?

3. How is she contacting you, and how frequently?

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

I won't be able to assist you if you are not able to provide the minimal information I sought clarification on. Please get back to me with this information at your earliest convenience.

Doug

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello
She has threatened to call my employer and has been in contact with him via text
She is claiming that I am stealing patients and giving them to my current employer. She is claiming that I am in violation of Hipaa regulations. She is claiming that I stole employee charts. All of this is false allegations
She is communicating with me via text, yesterday and today.I thought by ignoring her texts she will go away however she continues with her threats. This is is becoming overwhelming and unbearable. Thank you
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the additional information.

Your only legal remedy here is to sue her for Defamation based on the allegations against you that are false and that she is sharing with other people. Even contact by text is sufficient.

From a legal standpoint, defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm.

1. Slander typically involves an oral (spoken) representation.
2. Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as the internet, a magazine or newspaper.

In order to win a defamation case, you must prove the following:

1. A false statement was made about an individual, generally yourself;
  2. The statement was made to a third party;
  3. If the defamatory matter is of public concern, (for example if you are a famous person) fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher.
  4. Finally, you must show that you have suffered damages.

While in some cases of defamation you must actually prove that you have suffered some sort of damage, in other circumstances where there has been Defamation Per Se, the damages are presumed and you may simply ask for money.

The law generally recognizes four types of Defamation Per Se:

1. Where an allegation is made that a person has a loathsome disease. This is typically an allegation of a sexually transmitted disease.

2. The second type is a statement that a person committed a crime of moral turpitude. This can include everything from rape or theft to child abuse.

3. The third category deals with allegations of sexual deviance or the lack of being a virgin.

4. Finally, damages may be presumed if the false statement of facts affects a person’s reputation in regard to their business or profession.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? I am not compensated until you rate me.

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Please excuse the error in asking if you want a document reviewed. The offer should have been for a call only.