Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed Experienced Attorney

My son is a felon. He is 26 and committed armed robbery when

Customer Question

My son is a felon. He is 26 and committed armed robbery when he was 18. He served 6 years in prison. He is wanting to train for a job that is better than restaurant or construction. Do you know what positions are the best to train in that would have the most promising results for substantial employment?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Can you please tell me what type of job / profession your son is interested in and if he is considering going through with college or even graduate school?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Right now, he just wants to review his options and seems like so many doors slammed in his face. He is willing to go to to a trade school or college and perhaps graduate school. He has done restaurant work and unskilled construction labor since he's been out, but it is brutal and doesn't pay much.

Thank you for your follow up.

It would generally be impossible to list all of the jobs and professions that might exclude a felon or make it very difficult for a felon to obtain, since there are tens of thousands of such jobs and professions, however, generally, in some states someone with a felony conviction can obtain a medical doctor license or attorney's license, providing that the person can show rehabilitation and also good moral character at the time person with a felony conviction applied for such license.

Also there are some positions, such as law enforcement, military, etc...that would exclude someone with a felony conviction almost under any circumstances.

So the first step would be for a young person who has violent felony conviction on his record, is to determine as to what job / profession or professional / trade field is of interest to the person and once such determination is made, lets say it is becoming a licensed plumber or licensed electrician, then an direct inquiry / research can be made to determine if it would be possible to obtain a license for the profession / trade with a felony record.

Please let me know if this clarifies it for you or if you have any related follow up questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. I'll discuss more details with him before responding again. I find it very ironic that a felon can become a police officer or join the military.

Thank you follow up.

No. I stated that a felon cannot join military (except with very rare waiver / exception) or become sworn law enforcement officer / agent. I am sorry if you misread or misunderstood me.