RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

There is favoritism going on at my job. And this past

Customer Question

There is favoritism going on at my job. And this past weekend it really affected me. I don't want to talk the matter to HR but I don't want to make my boss aware of it and don't want the matter being shoved under the rug. Can I have him sign a document stating I made him aware of the favoritism? They did a favor for somebody even though I requested it a week before
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to assisting you.

Can you make your employer sign a document? No. You can talk to them about it and ask them to sign it, but they can refuse, and honestly, it doesn't make a difference if they sign or not. Unfortunately, favoritism isn't necessarily against the law. It can be against the law for employers to discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age, sex, disability, gender, sexual orientation, or pregnancy. For example, an employer could give a male employee a week's paid vacation and deny a female employee the same week off for no other reason then their gender. But it's not unlawful for example, for an employer to allow an employee who is a family friend, or just the boss's favorite employee, to go home earlier than other employees. Yes, they may favor them, but unless they are doing so with discriminatory intent, it's not unlawful.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars,as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what do you recommend? Go to HR? or bring it to my boss attention?

HR is there to address employee concerns. I would start there, especially if this is a situation where they are discriminating as a form of favoritism. I don't know what type of resolution you're looking for (for it to never happen again? An apology?) but it would be good to know that walking in. Also, if other employees have experienced the same thing, it's worth mentioning too. If the matter continues, then I would bring it to the boss's attention.

Did you need any clarification or additional information about my answer?