Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.
17897874

If i am being forced to sign a contract with the state of

Customer Question

If i am being forced to sign a contract with the state of Georgia for a position in which I have reported as a harassing, toxic enviroment, am I allowed to submit a statement to placed in employment file that explains the terms and condition in which I signing it under.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

How are they forcing you to sign? Why not just refuse to sign or add the language to the contract?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My job was abolished May 2, 2016 by my supervisor. I did my own investigation and I found out that my abolishment was done illegally. I presented proof of that to the school superindent and other executive cabinet members. I also told them that I felt that my supervisor was retaliating against me due to the complaints and grievances that I filed during the 2015-2016 school year. After reviewing evidence, they sent a contract to me. I have also requested to have a lateral move on the same pay scale in order to not be subjected to the same toxic environment. They will not allow me to move.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Rather than sign the agreement which you do not feel is an expression of your terms or under duress, ask them to add the language you need to be able to freely sign it. Because any signed contract carries with it the legal presumption of agreement with the terms conationed therein, your subsequent letter will not have any legitimate relevance to the enforceability of the signed contract.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there any state law that I can use to enforce my request of a lateral position transfer? I have documentation which proves that I have been crying out to administrative personnel since August of 2015, in reference to the work place harassment I have experienced with my current superviser. My phyiscian diagnosed me with anxiety and depression, due to work related stress. I have been getting mental health treatment for the past 5 months. How can I use my current health condition enforce my HR request to place me in a lateral position?
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
If you have a disability you can make a request for a reasonable accommodation under ADA.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you saying that I have to get some type of written approval through ADA inorder to use my health condition to enforce a position transfer?
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
No, you write a request to the employer for a reasonable accommodation of a position transfer citing ADA. If they refuse then you would have to sue them for violating ADA.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.