Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator

I have worked at my present job years. I know they are

Customer Question

I have worked at my present job for 15 years. I know they are trying to force me out. The stress from this is causing me health issues. My question is if I quit will I be turned down for unemployment. There have been over 70 people in my department and there are only 5 of us.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Washington State
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I can't afford one. I can't go to HR as my supervisor (who is the problem) has her hand in HR's pocket and any other key person.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I have a large customer base and not one customer would give me a bad mark. Yet, my supervisor is working real hard to make me quit or get fired. I can't take the stress anymore. I am 65 and planned on working here until the buildings lease is up in 2 years but I cannot afford to stay.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 3 months ago.

I hope this message finds you well. I am licensed attorney with over a dozen years of employment law experience. It is my pleasure to assist you today.

If you quit, as a general rule, you are ineligible for unemployment coverage. That said, if the employer has constructively terminated you...meaning that they put you in a position in which you had no other choice but to quit...then you can be eligible.

This is an issue that is case by case. If you have documented health issues which directly relate to the treatment you are receiving, then you are certainly within the realm of possibility of being able to receive unemployment coverage. So, that is good news here. I cannot straight up tell you that you will receive unemployment, but based on what you have shared with me, I think you stand a good chance based on constructive termination.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE STARS) on the ratings bar on your end so I will receive credit for my response from the site.

Thank you and best wishes!

Did you have any other questions or concerns?

Just checking to see if you have any other questions. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks