Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed Experienced Attorney

I have learned recently confidential information about my

Customer Question

I have learned recently confidential information about my marriage has been breached to my pastor. Pastor has admitted information came to him unsolicited. Pastor has turned around and shared information to another pastor friend where we use to attend church. I am a minister as well. Not sure what the information is first pastor has heard or what information was shared. We gave the information in a confidential setting to a private investigator that a church leader secured. We were told on several occasions information would be kept in the strictest of confidence. As a minister this information if revealed will have a negative impact on marriage possibly destroying it, not to mention the damage to my professional career. I have been in ministry 30 plus years with stellar reputation. What are my options if any to contain and or damage control?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What state is the private investigator licensed in?

Did you hire this licensed private investigator?

Was it the private licensed investigator that had shared confidential information?

Please provide me with more details, so I can better understand the situation related to your question.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Private investigator in Plano TX. Unsure if licensed or not. I believe he was. He was hired by gentleman in our church who I went to for help in matter. The church gentleman secured the investigator and brought us in separately. Once introduced we both we told by church gentlemen and investigator anything shared would be kept in the strictest of confidence. The church gentleman even led my wife to believe he would not know information. Only investigator. I had the same instruction given me, too. Once we both were deposed we were summoned back to church gentlemen office where it was obvious he knew content of our investigation. First betrayal of confidence. We complied wanting resolution. We were being extorted for 1000.00 by a gentleman online that had been pursuing my wife. Resolved the situation and began working on our marriage (we are still together and getting healthier). In meantime, stepped down as pastor and the church called my good friend. Once new pastor arrived he informed the church leader had shown him the investigator notes regarding both our depositions. Since that time the information has leaked again and again. It came back firsthand Friday pm. My wife has shut down and Im weighing options for protection.

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, the licensed private investigator only has fiduciary duty / duty of confidence to the person who has hired him and paid his fees, so unfortunately, if the licensed private investigator had shared confidential information that was provided to him by a third party, I am afraid that generally, the only option would be to file a formal complaint against the licensed private investigator with the Texas Department of Public Safety at:

The state agency will investigate your complaint and will take appropriate disciplinary action against this licensed PI based on the finding of their investigation.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you