Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law

My company lease 2 trucks to carrier to use them goods. The

Customer Question

My company lease 2 trucks to carrier to use them for transportation goods. The carrier hire drivers for the trucks, dispatched them and do business. In return pay me 90% of the completed loads, but I'm responsible for the operation cost including the driver pay. In the end of the year Carrier issue Form-1099 for all the money they paid to me and I issue the same to the drivers I paid. I have written lease agreement contract with the Carrier. Do I need to have any contracts with the drivers? I don't hire them and I don
JA: Employment law can be complex. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. The attorneys have a lot of experience with this, and it would be my pleasure to match you with the best fit. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I don't dispatched them
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Like what?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

I would consider a contract between you and the drivers setting out that they are independent contractors and not employees and other terms you want to set out.Overall it is a good idea.You might want to include a noncompete to keep them from working for the competition.

You really should have local lawyer prepare this to give you max protection and avoid any complaints that they are employees here rather than a contractor.

You also want the contract to state that it is governed by the laws of your state and that any disputes are to be resolved in your county and state.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.