Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience

Are Romanian government pensions taxable in USA USA citizen?

Customer Question

Are Romanian government pensions taxable in USA for a USA citizen?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Please note: (1) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; and (2) I answer most questions within the hour. However, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and JA’s site disclaimers presented to you earlier.

Answer will follow in the pane below in a short while….

Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

As a general rule, the pension/annuity articles of most tax treaties allow the country of residence to tax the pension or annuity under its domestic laws. This is true unless a treaty provision specifically amends that treatment. The answer to your case appears to lie under Article 17 at this link.

It reads as follows:

ARTICLE 17 Social Security Payments

Social security payments and other public pensions paid by one of the Contracting States to an individual who is a resident of the other Contracting State shall be exempt from tax in both Contracting States. This article shall not apply to payments described in Article 18 (Governmental Functions).

So the answer to your question appears to be "NO."