LawForAll, Lawyer
Experience:  I am happy to help! I have extensive experience in various legal fields.

I have a non-compete agreement with my employer which states

Customer Question

Hi, I have a non-compete agreement with my employer which states that my client cannot hire me. But now my client is offering me a position and my employer and myself have no objections to. But the client is hesitant because of the non compete agreement.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Jersey
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: my employer is willing to provide a release form. Would that work?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawForAll replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist.

If you have a non compete agreement that says you can't be hired by a client, the employer can absolutely allow you to take that position, if it is done in writing. A release form would be great, or really anything in writing saying that they no longer hold you to that requirement. Make sure it is signed by the right person, whoever signed the original contract.

Let me know if you have any questions. Otherwise best of luck.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This contract was singed on Jun 1, 2016 and says the contract is for 12 months. Would this make any difference?

If the employer is willing to release you from that agreement, it doesn't matter if you are leaving early. If they don't release you from it, then you would be leaving early and would be subject to whatever terms are in that agreement regarding leaving before the end of the contract.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK. Thanks for the replies.

You are welcome.

If you don't have any other questions about the above, please be sure to close out the question with positive feedback, so I get credit for my work with you today.

Hi, I see that this question is still open.

Please provide positive feedback so that I get paid for my work with you.

Thank you