P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11181181

I would like to record a meeting with my supervisor and her

Customer Question

I would like to record a meeting with my supervisor and her supervisor concerning position responsibilities. I am a Federal employee. I work full-time telework and I live in the State of Virginia. Can that meeting be recorded without their knowledge?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in the State of Virginia.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I have not.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No, because I am not really sure of the tone this meeting will take. It does appear, however, that they are trying to change my position description and are trying to leave me with no options or input into the matter.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

This depends...where do you anticipate making this recording (and where will all parties be)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I work remotely from phone. I live and work in Virginal. They will be located in Baltimore, MD. This conversation will take place by teleconference.

Thank you

Your location is the key...Under Maryland’s Wiretapping and Electronic Surveillance Act, it is unlawful to tape record a conversation without the permission of all the parties. So if you were to record this, without telling the other parties? That would violate the MD law.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Please rate the answer so I may receive credit
Thanks for your understanding
Phil