Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

I am a loam originator. I am fluent in Spanish. My broker

Customer Question

Hello, I am a loam originator. I am fluent in Spanish. My broker will not allow me to
do loans for clients that cannot communicate to her in English. We do not have our forms printed in Spanish. I am struggling with this and she does not feel this is against the ECOA laws. Can you please clarify for me?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, your employment is at will. It is up to your broker what they allow you to do or not. Now the laws say that the broker must provide a person a contract in their native language if they are unable to read or speak English. Both the ECOA and Regulation B state that the customer must be provided the contract and information in their native language if they cannot understand English. The US Department of Justice enforces the ECOA, so if your broker refuses to provide customers their information and documents in Spanish and the customers cannot speak English fluently, then you can file the complaint with the US Department of Justice Civil Rights Division.
You cannot force the broker to use you to do this, you can only force them to comply with the law to provide contracts and information in Spanish when necessary.