Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

I work at a hospital and recently changed my hours with

Customer Question

I work at a hospital and recently changed my hours with another employee. I was a senior technologist at level 27. I have a new job description to sign and I am now assigned a level of 26. The hospital has given me a 10% reduction in pay. When I took the senior tech position I was given a 3% raise in hourly rate.i am paid an hourly rate and not salaried. Is this within the hospitals right to do this?
Suzanne Drake ***@******.***
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. I'm sorry to hear about this demotion.

I'll need to ask you some preliminary questions before I can give you an answer to your question. Are you in a union or do you otherwise have a contract for "just cause" (as opposed to “at will" employment which is the default employment condition)? Are there any work policies (e.g., an employee handbook or policy manual) that prohibit or qualify demotion in any way? Do you think the manager who demoted you had an ulterior motive in demoting you, perhaps your age, race, gender, disability or religious beliefs?