Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I am a 49 year old woman with two college degrees.

Customer Question

I am a 49 year old woman with two college degrees. Yesterday, I was told my position was being eliminated. I was offered a new position with a different job title but similar job functions. The new position will decrease my pay approximately 54% and it is $15-20k under market rate.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. I am very sorry to hear about the elimination of your position. What precisely is your question regarding this situation? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is this age discrimination?
If I do not accept the low paying position, can i get unemployment?

Thank you.

Is there anything that causes you to believe your position is being eliminated because of how old you are? If so, what?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am the oldest female at work. All new hires are in there early to mid twenties. Why are they "eliminating my job" only to rename it to reduce my pay...

Thanks, ***** ***** valid points. How old is the person who made the decision to restructure your position? Is anyone elses position being restructured, or just yours? Lastly, has any legitimate business reason been articulated to you for this decision?