Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

I'm in an ugly dispute with my employer and termination

Customer Question

I'm in an ugly dispute with my employer and termination / resignation is imminent. What is the best way to collect my belongings? I fear reentering after hours may lead to accusations of theft, but have fear to reenter during work hours. Can I send a courier with an itemized list?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

I would try to resolve this with employer, sending a courier or friend is a great idea assuming they will agree to turn over your stuff to them.If they insist on your going, then you need to take a friend or relative as a witness and get your stuff and say as little as possible.

I hope they will allow a courier or friend to collect them.You have a right to your stuff you just need to work out the details.I would not advise

entering after hours although I have to admit I know people who have risked it.Thats your judgment, it has risks.If you are a current employee and have access it would be an option to just go get your stuff after hours.A courier is a safe means to retrieve your stuff hopefully they box i t and have it at front desk.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and the best here.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is no resolution with my employer. I'm in the ER with police on the way to record an assault charge. I'm even afraid to send in a friend. Called a few courier services and they won't take this on. Is there a statement in writing stating my rights to my things I could send with a friend?
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

You can have local lawyer act on your behalf, they should turn them over to lawyer, sounds like the lawyer can help with the assault.Sorry you have had this happen.

If you can leave a positive five star rating it is always much appreciated.I will say a little prayer for you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can't afford a local lawyer
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

Then you would write hr yourself and ask how to claim your effects and whether they would just ship to you here by fed ex or other means.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They'll destroy it most likely. HR is an uncaring as my abusive boss. Short of someone physically going in to claim my things just before quitting they will not be returned.
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

Send the letter here, see if the police would help you on this too.Best you can do .And you may yet decide to sue these guys for damages.I wish you the best.

Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

Thanks if you can positive rate it is much appreciated.