P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11181181

If there is opposing counsel attending my church and should

Customer Question

If there is opposing counsel attending my church and should the opposing counsel be recused because we go to the same church and hold positions in the church. I am suing the opposing counsel client for discrimination
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

The fact the opposing counsel attends the same place of worship as you...or even that you both hold leadership positions in the church would not be a basis to force counsel to recuse.

If they (opposing counsel) represented you previously? That would be a basis to force them to recuse...but not simply because you are in the same church

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can force them to recuse, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I feel violated because of their position in my church and the personal information. Also I feel like I am being persecuted at work and at my place of worship.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if they represent the church

The only way to force them to recuse is if you can prove they have information about you learned from representing you.

Again, I am sorry to be the one to bear bad news...but what you are describing is not a basis to force them to recuse.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
my ex employer persecute me at work and place of worship

The fact the attorney for the suit that you are engaged in goes to your church and the fact you both are in leadership in the church is NOT a basis to demand the lawyer withdraw.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She could be a character witness would that have any bearing

Who? The attorney? A character witness for whom??

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The opposing counsel could be a character witness for me

No...no, that will not work...or, at least, that will not be a basis to have them recused.

IF they represented you in the past (they acted as your lawyer) that would be a basis to force them to recuse.

But the fact they could be a witness for you?

Well...its your call if you want to call them as a witness or not. But the fact they COULD be a witness for you would not be a basis to force them to be removed. No way.

Again, I am sorry to be the one to bear bad news...but I am assuming you want me to be frank and not simply tell you what you want to hear.

I would appreciate if you could please now rate the answer

Thank you