Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Can the labor board come into your business during working

Customer Question

Can the labor board come into your business during working hours without the owner there and disrupt employees doing there work?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

The Labor Board can and often does conduct unannounced audits. So, there is nothing inherently illegal about them coming to your business during working hours, even if this results in a disruption of your employees' work. While it's perfectly legal for the Labor Board to show up unannounced, an employer generally doesn't have to immediately turn over records or grant the agent access to non-public areas of the work place. The Labor Board would typically need a subpoena and/or warrant for these things.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.