Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert

I work school district, a manager, my supervisor called me

Customer Question

I work for a school district , a manager for benefits, my supervisor called me in for a evaluation, at 1:30 pm. the day before , the evaluation was to take place the next day at 8:30 am I emailed her back because she was out of her office , asked for reschedule because it is open enrollment time and there is approx. 2200 employees that I have to finalize their insurance elections.... I received no response to email, At 9 am the following morning I received email from supervisor that said " I failed to attend meeting and meeting was rescheduled for 8 am 2 days later...The email said it was mandatory, non negotiable, and I can bring someone to attend meeting with me if I so desire" I have a lot of Questions... First question is "should I bring a lawyer with me to meeting?"
2nd. Question What kind of lawyer do I need?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

First question is "should I bring a lawyer with me to meeting?"

My answer to this one would be yes. The reason is that the "tone" 'of the email you received is somewhat hostile and ominous. It sounds like the supervisor has the "big fish in a small pond" syndrome and has taken offense that you didn't put their business ahead of everything else. A lawyer will serve as a neutral party that is generally regarded as a "bigger fish in both that pond and other ponds" and may back the supervisor down from an aggressive posture. PLus, he lawyer will be able to point out how, under the rules, you had an obligation to do your work and there was a limited time to perform that work. Likely the lawyer can glance through the various handbooks, policies, etc. and find language that excuses your behavior.

Plus, the lawyer acts as a held for you, they can allow and even persuade the supervisor to direct their anger toward the lawyer, or they system, or elsewhere other thna you.

Look for a lawyer that does Employment Law, not School Lw. You can find one at, under the section for Area of Practice enter Employment Law and you should get a list.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.