Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

Female aged 53, and have been an employee Sealift Command a

Customer Question

I am African American female aged 53, and have been an employee for Military Sealift Command for the a little over six years. I feel that I have been discriminated against on the basis of my ethnicity, age and gender. Over the past 4 years I have been in the position as the Afloat Operations Manager which is a direct report under Mr. Eliot (Justin) Skinner.
My complaint is based on the following:
- Hostile work environment
- Discrimination based on gender and ethnic background
- Management Retaliation
As a government worker for over 30 years, you must understand how much it pains me to write you this letter today. However, I feel that I cannot remain silent any longer as numerous meetings to include a workplace dispute (held on Dec 14) did not solve or improve the hostile environment, it got worst, so on January 12, 2016 I requested a re-assignment.
I had several email/office call conversations with Mr. Olsz0wy (Deputy N6) and Justin Skinner who communicated I would transition to N61. My new Director, Mr. Florence shared the proposed Position Description and after several changes it was forwarded to MSC classification in April. I inquired about the status of my re-assignment several times due to the ongoing hostility and continued undermining from my direct leadership in N64. I also communicated this to Mr. Olszowy who stated he would talk to Justin again.
On May 26, 2016, Mr. Skinner communicated to me that Lynn wanted to hire a GS-14 for my current billet/BIN, however he informed her that would not be a good idea since I am currently in the position. On May 31, I sent Mr. Skinner an email to inform him that I will not be able to attend his scheduled meeting with some of my staff (due to a medical appointment). I was also concerned about my PD and billet since I had not heard anything from Mr. Florence or leadership pertaining to my re-assignment. Mr. Skinner’s responded and informed me that my PD would soon change and all associated paperwork has been submitted to HR for processing.
On several occasions I have inquired about my re-assignment out of N64 due to my challenges and concerns over the years with Mr. Skinner. The challenges and hostility have increased after my workplace dispute discussions. These challenges include sebut not only from Justin but from my subordinates and peers. I am seeking an immediate investigation into several issues
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I want to know how to include retaliation and whistle blower because I have been excluded from several meetings and reported several time card and leave items that were illegal
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I want to write a strong grievance letter
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In your above letter, while you claim discrimination based on race and gender and whistle blowing you have nothing in there that specifically gives evidence of those allegations. You will need to articulate that evidence in your letter.
Do you have such evidence?