Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

Regarding the new minimum salary wage. Can I continue to pay

Customer Question

Regarding the new minimum salary wage. Can I continue to pay my assistant manager $30,000 as long as I pay her overtime for hours worked over 40 hours?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Yes, you could do that, but the question is why would you want to. If the salary is now only compensating for 40 hours and everything else must be paid as overtime in addition to that, why not just convert the employee to hourly? Either way you have to keep track of all the employee's hours. Maintaining the salary simply means that you will be paying for 40 hours even in weeks where the employee does not work 40 hours. If you are going to go through the hassle of keeping track of all the employee's hours, you might as well benefit from the fact that you can pay for less than 40 hours if they wind up working less than 40 hours. There is just no logical reason for an employer to pay salary plus overtime.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get paid for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.