Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.
63724254

My manager has requested those of us (direct reports) to

Customer Question

My manager has requested those of us (direct reports) to "rework" our previously, submitted and approved time sheet to show more billable time charged to corporate client accounts. Office is in Illinois and part of a world-wide corporation. This is not only illegal but an infraction that would be deemed a valid reason for immediate termination. Are we correct in this?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 5 months ago.

Yes, you are fabricating work that did not happen. However, if you explain this to your manager could subject you to retaliation.

Statutory Protections
General Whistleblower Protection: Under Illinois' Whistleblower Act, employees are protected under three separate provisions:

• An employee may not be retaliated against for disclosing suspected violations of state or federal law to a government or law enforcement agency. The employee's suspicion does not need to actually be true, nor is the employee required to prove conclusively that the violation happened. Rather, the employee needs to only have reasonable cause to believe that a violation had occurred. Note, however, that the disclosure must be made to a government or law enforcement agency: disclosures to other persons (such as a supervisor or the media) are not protected under the statute. 740 Ill. Comp. Stat. 174/15.
  • Also, an employee may not be retaliated against for refusing to participate in an activity that violates state or federal law. 740 Ill. Comp. Stat. 174/20.
  • In addition, employers are prohibited from adopting policies that prevent employees from disclosing suspected violations of state or federal law to a government or law enforcement agency. 740 Ill. Comp. Stat. 174/10.

Discrimination: An employee may not be discharged (or discriminated against) in retaliation for opposing suspected unlawful discrimination or sexual harassment in employment. An employee does not need to prove that unlawful discrimination (or sexual harassment) actually occurred�only that she reasonably (and in good faith) believed that unlawful discrimination (or sexual harassment) was taking place. Nor may an employee be discharged in retaliation for making a charge, filing a complaint, testifying, assisting, or participating in a public investigation, proceeding, or hearing under the Illinois Human Rights Act (IHRA). The IHRA prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, handicap, military status, sexual orientation, and unfavorable discharge from military service. In certain cases, discrimination on the basis of arrest record is also prohibited. 775 Ill. Comp. Stat. 5/6-101.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.