Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I am an executive at a non profit who last four years has

Customer Question

I am an executive at a non profit who for the last four years has had an employment contract (signed annually). I was just informed that I will not have a signed employment agreement any longer. I am not fired, I just won't be under a contract. The email communication I received said:
"Most employees of XXXXXXXXX are hired without an employment agreement. Providing employment agreements is a lot of paperwork, as many of you have noted over the years, that seems unnecessary. The Compensation Committee of the Board of Trustees agrees.
So this year, we’re not sending you an employment agreement.
There is no change to your job or your compensation or your potential for merit. There is nothing for you to do."
Without an employment contract, I don't have any formal agreement with the employer. Should I insist on an "offer letter" or some other signed employment agreement?
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I should add, my immediate supervisor was fired in April and there is a chance that this decision was made to make it easier to fire me at will without having to pay out a contract.I am not aware if this change in policy was enacted across the board or if I am the only person affected by it.
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Your employer has no legal obligation to offer a contract. You can ask for an "offer letter" but if your employer doesn't want to give you a contract then they are not going to give you an offer letter that creates any contractually enforceable obligations. So, it's sort of a futile request.

If it makes you feel at all better, the vast majority of employees work without an employment contract of any kind. Contracts are the exception, not the rule. Furthermore, most contracts do not prohibit the employer from changing the terms of employment or even terminating the employment relationship altogether. So, the comfort one gets in having an employment contract is largely illusory.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.