LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  30 years legal experience and I keep current in Employment Law through regular continuing education.

Is it a PPA violation transfer center of a hospital to be on

Customer Question

Is it a HIPPA violation for a transfer center of a hospital to be on the telephone when 2 nurses or 2 doctors are discussing the medical history of a patient that is a potential transfer?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

It is not a violation of the HIPAA law for medical staff to be discussing a patient while another staff member is nearby and on a phone call----even if the call can potentially be overheard on the other end of the line---because the party on the other end of the line is responsible to collect medical information related to the potential transfer itself, and they are bound by HIPAA law as well.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,