Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Can you detect a fake job reference easily

Customer Question

Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Honestly, it is usually pretty easy to tell. All it would take is Googling the phone number supplied as the reference to discover that it is not an official company line. Also, if the prospective employer has ever called the company before, they will know that the phone message system is different. Letters of reference are usually followed up on, so chances are a fake letter of reference will get caught, too. Adding to this, if it is discovered that you falsified information in connection with a job application, you are likely to be completely black balled from the industry. If you are hired and it is subsequently discovered that you falsified information, you will almost certainly be terminated and denied unemployment benefits. It really isn't worth these risks, especially when you consider the relatively minimal chances that the ploy will succeed.

If you can't get a reference, it is best to simply explain why. Most employers are understanding of this kind of thing. You can also offer co-workers who will vouch for you as references. These options are far better than fabricating something.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.