Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

I cut 2 of my fingers off at work and did not follow the

Customer Question

I cut 2 of my fingers off at work and did not follow the proper safety when this happened, I was taken to the emergency room where I met with my wife and daughter and the employer department manager showed up, I was told that the fingers could not be sewed back on and was then sent to a plastic surgeon who then had to cut them shorter in order to close the ends, the company manager told the doctor that they had a job at work I could do that wouldn't interfere with my restrictions so the Dr sent me back to work 2 days later with restrictions even though I was terrified and in a lot of pain and couldn't take the pain medicine prescribed by the doctor at work because it has codeine in it, anyway I showed up at work and they did an investigation of accident that happened to me and then sent me home on administrative leave pending the outcome of their investigation, the following week I was fired. We do not have a union and their has been several safety accidents that has happened where people were not terminated, how ever I did file a complaint against the company for discrimination in the past. Can a company fire at their discretion whenever they want to who ever they want?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did you have any type of written employment contract which specified the duration / period of your employment?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.