Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

I had to fill out an OBA (other business activity)

Customer Question

I had to fill out an OBA (other business activity) disclosure statement. I'm transitioning from a health insurance company to a life insurance/ investment company. I let my employer know at the life insurance company that I might be leaving, but I said that I wasn't going to leave until I knew for sure that I have the job. In the OBA disclosure statement, I only have two options to select from: "I participate in an OBA," or "I don't participate in an OBA." There's no option for "I will no longer participate after hire." I didn't want to ask the HR rep too many questions, so I just selected the I don't participate option. It looks like I can still go in an change this. I will no participate in the other job until the background check is completed and I get the offer (I already have the contingent offer). Do I need to say that I participate in an OBA and risk them seeing it as a conflict of interest , or can I just keep the option I selected?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

While I think you could likely keep the answer you put, if there is a place to add an explanation or you can attach a separate piece of paper that explains it then that would be better.

If you can't attach an additional explanation then your statement is accurate since you don't have an "OBA" now and you won't have an "OBA" when you start at the new job.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of something else.