P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11181181

My daughter works school 6 hours a day 10 month a year

Customer Question

My daughter works for a school 6 hours a day 10 month a year making 15 an hour for a family of 4 she is being told she must purchase health ins through her employer for $1200/month, she and her family are currently on medical
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Employment Lawyer should know?
Customer: Not sure if this is relevant her husband and son are deaf
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma...but not sure I understand the question...are you asking if the employer can require, as part of the employment agreement, she purchase health care?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that is what I'm inquiring

Thank you
The law allows an employer to require the employee purchase health care as part of the employment agreement. Even if the care is expensive. Your daughter would have to decide on keeping the job (and paying the costs of the care) or finding another job.

But to answer the question, can they employer require this? The answer is yes, they can

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that they can not force her to pay for this but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.