Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I need legal advice, and I am not sure how to proceed. My

Customer Question

I need legal advice, and I am not sure how to proceed. My situation is unique. I am a police officer and was working in a specialized unit. I complained about two co-workers to my supervisor on work related matters. After lodging my in-house verbal complaint, I found myself being verbally harassed by one of my co-workers and pulled into closed door meeting and written up daily. This went on for about three months until I was called into a meeting where I was presented with a poor evaluation which I refused to sign. I was told if I did not sign I would be sent to work in patrol. I eventually ended up signing the evaluation and provided a written rebuttal and requested a meeting with my commander. Later that night I found out I was transferred to a district in patrol and was denied my meeting with my commander because I was no longer under his command. From August 2013 to the present I am assigned to a police district. Before being sent to this district from my specialized unit I had been out of patrol since 2003 and had not been sent for re-tread training so that I was up-to-date on the latest policies, laws, application and in-car-camera access, etc. I was tossed out without the necessary training or tools. During my time in the specialized unit, I was attending school and earning my financial fraud examiners certification which the department was paying for at the time. I was made to work afternoons and could not attend many of my classes because I was previously working 6am to 2pm. In January of 2015, I was injured while assisting another police officer. A subject with mental disabilities became combative and punched me about the head several times. I also hurt my neck, thoracic, lumbar spine. I have been in physical therapy since January 2015 for my work related injury and have been seeing several doctors. I went back to work full duty in a limited duty capacity until I can return to full duty work status. Since going back to work, I have been treated in a hostile manner by my co-workers and supervisors. I have specific medical needs because of my head injury and PTSD, and my supervisor did not see that those needs were met. I walked into work with a color copy stapled to the wall of my cube that said I was a shit starter (RAT). I told my doctors, and immediate supervisors about my medical needs not being met and also about the color copy stapled to my cube. Nothing was done about either. I was told that I would be acting as a finance back-up and that the employee in that position should train me. This person refused to teach me and did not listen to his immediate supervisors. I was also told that I would be taking over as project manager for a vendor we have contracted until 2021 because the current PM gave his two weeks notice. The PM never trained me or gave me any documentation to assist me with this transition nor do I have any experience in PM and I am recovering from a head injury with cognitive impairment and PTSD. I believe because of my history working in the specialized unit and ratting out two co-workers I will always be considered a rat and treated as such disabled temporally or not. I have tried on several occasions to voice my concerns to my supervisors without any help. On Friday, June 3, 2016, I was working late because I needed to completed a report. I walked out of work with my co-worker, and we went separate ways. I remember walking out the back pedestrian gate and walking towards my car and then coming to lying on the pavement in the street. I picked myself up and made my way to my car. I immediately called my mom and waiting until I could drive and made my way home. My mom and sister took me to the hospital where my immediate supervisor showed up after notifying her of my injury at work. She called a patrol supervisor to write the injury paperwork, and he refused to say that I was leaving work and was not covered by the department. My supervisor told the patrol sergeant that her supervisor told him to write the injury paperwork, but instead a police report was created for falling on the sidewalk instead. I told my supervisor that the cameras located on top of the building at work where I fell should show what happened since I could not remember. She said she would look into it for me. That night I was admitted to the hospital for observation. The next day I pulled the policy of work-related injuries and sent it to my supervisors, and they sent another supervisor from patrol to take the injury report. Later that evening my immediate supervisor showed up asking me all kinds of questions about my fall again. She said she drove my route home on lake shore drive and wanted to know how I drove home after I fell, I waited until I felt I was able to drive safely. My story did not change; I don't remember the fall just closing the gate and stepping off the curb. I told her that she should pull the video on the building before the video is erased. She didn't say anything about the video a
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
cont...and left shortly after that. The next day I received a phone call from my work nurse telling me that the city denied my work injury on finance, and I would get a letter in the mail. I called my workman's comp neurologist assigned by the city to notify him of my new injury. I left a message with his nurse because he was not available. The doctor called me back and said that my new injury had nothing to do with my head injury. I asked if he had a chance to speak with the hospital neurologist and he said who is that? I took that as a no, and he quickly hung up after telling me my blackout was not concussion related. I never heard back nor have I visited again by my immediate supervisor after being denied my work related injury. I briefly spoke on two separate occasions with the hospital neurologist about my injury, and he said that he was not sure and was still going to run more tests. Since the neuro only works weekends he sent his partner in to see his partner and me is good friends/colleagues with my workman comp neuro. The hospital neuro said he would reach out to my doctor and get back to me, but I never saw the doctor again. I am not sure how everything has happened so fast since it takes weeks just to make an appointment for a referral to see a workman comp doctor. I did not use names I need to know what I should do. I went to my union and was told not to make waves. Some advice and I pay dues. Please tell me what I need to do or what my options are. I feel like I am being forced out, and my medical needs are not being met. My workman comp neuro works for the insurance company, so he does not care about my health, and my supervisor is probably just doing what she is being told to do.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here is my question. I was tossed out of my position because I ratted on two cops that were friends with our supervisor. I was not trained properly because I was off the streets working in special assignements for so long. I was injured last year as a result. I have been in PT, seeing a police shrink for ptsd, an ortho and neuro for my concussion. June 3rd I blacked out and work is saying that this is personal injury not workmans comp. How can that be when my head is the issue that I am currently being treated for. My work environment is hostile and does not meet my disability needs. My union told me not to make waves. Well this is my life we are talking about. I feel like the department would rather I drop dead then provide me with adequate medical treatment.

I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what should I do" "what are my rights" or "what are my options" we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

Please be as specific as possible. You can ask follow ups and it is my goal to make sure you get answers to all your questions.