Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I am currently working as a PRN employee with set schedule

Customer Question

I am currently working as a PRN employee with set schedule every other weekend and a few days during the week. I wanted to drop my one weekend and just work one weekend a month. When I approached my boss she said that if I did that, she would take all my scheduled days away. I wanted to know if they take my days away would I be eligBle for unemployment??
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, to be eligible for unemployment you had to lose your employment through no fault of your own and you must be seeking new employment. As a PRN employee, you are deemed at will, meaning you work at the will of the employer when needed. If you refuse to work a particular weekend and the employer takes the remainder of your time away because of that, they will claim you lost your employment through your fault and as such the state would likely deny unemployment benefits if your employer objects to your claim.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What is I am unable to work the weekend because of child care issues

Thank you for your reply

Child care issues are considered personal reasons and not job related issues, so they would not be deemed good cause under PA law for you voluntarily leaving your employment or not working when required by the employer. This is the nature of at will employment, the employer gets to demand when an employee needs to be at work and the employees rights are significantly limited as they have no right to a job with a particular employer I am afraid.