TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I was fired a beam with a forklift and didn't report it. I

Customer Question

I was fired for hitting a beam with a forklift and didn't report it. I collected unemployment for 6 months. On the last week of my employment I got a letter saying my former employer was fighting my unemployment. A week later a had a hearing and lost saying I have pay back my unemployment. Can I do anything?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. I'm sorry to hear about this problem with unemployment benefits. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

You mentioned that you appealed the decision. What was the outcome of the appeal?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
have not heard anything yet.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

I see.

Well, at this time there is nothing to do because you need to wait for the appeal process to conclude. Having said that, if failing to report the forklift accident is considered a violation of your employer's policies, then your employer may have a legitimate argument against you collecting unemployment. Accordingly, it would be helpful if you were to argue in the appeal that you did not intentionally violate any policies, and that your conduct was entirely an accident. In other words, you did not knowingly violate anything.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!