How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33074
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I currently have a situation similar to the one listed here

Customer Question

I currently have a situation similar to the one listed here six years ago. I have hired an attorney to send a letter terminating the PA's service and he has disregarded that correspondence. She then called and left a detailed message and requested he sign a mutual release (I think that is what it is called). Still he has ignored her. I spoke with the insurance adjuster and she told me this morning he does not intend to release me. There is a statement in the contract allowing cancellation by me within 3 business days. That is usual here in California. What can I do to get out from under this man. He has taken 35% of all the receipts I have submitted for reimbursement, including the mileage allowance the insurance company authorized.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The choice on whether to keep or terminate an attorney is always the client's. The attorney can't refuse to allow you to terminate them but they can hold you to whatever payment is in the contract as well as the ability to make a claim for attorney's fees under a theory of law known as "quantum meruit".

If the attorney refuses to stop working on the case you can file a complaint with the State Bar at

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This man is not an attorney but a public adjuster. To whom may I send a request for his termination to take effect? Is there something similar the the bar association that governs these people?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

Sorry, the way it read above I thought it was an attorney.

Everything else still applies with the exception that you would file a complaint at

Note that the menu bar there also has a section for complaints. I am having a problem opening the website but that is probably because I have so many blockers and safeguards on my computer.