Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

I'm currently employed by Community Actions Agency of South

Customer Question

My name is***** currently employed by Community Actions Agency of South Alabama located at*****Daphne,Al. It is a non-profit organization that feeds low income families,assist with utility bills, provide child care through headstart programs and qualify low income families with weatherization assistance. In 1996 I was convicted of first degree robbery and was sentenced to 25 years in prison. I serrved 10 years on the sentenced.Since my release in 2005 I have became an ordained minister, graduated from college and am married with four children. Since my releasement even with a felony background employment has not been a problem for me untill now. MY First job upon my releasement was with the City of Daphne where I served as a public service worker for nine years, my second job was was a juvenile correction officer at camp horizon. Now I'm employed by Community Actions Agency were I served as a social service worker and food distribution to needy families. I have 2 weeks to respond to a motion filed by the alabama dept. of human resources who filed a motion to the adminstrative law judge saying that it is against the state law for a convicted felon to be employed by any employment that operates through schools, daycares or any headstart programs. the alabama dept. of human resorces denied me suitabilty to be able to enter these facilties that are funded by Community Actions but Community Actions still hired me even with a first degree robbery conviction. But because of the denial of suitabilty I can't enter these facilities unless children are not present. And this is starting to be a hindrance at my job because we have to make food deliveries and mail courier routes and cleaning supplies. my question is what sould be my response to the administrative law judge who just received a motion from the assistant DA stating that my employment is unlawful.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hi Markes,

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Did they cite a specific state law in the motion? The only statutes I'm finding are for registered sex offenders and wouldn't apply to you.