Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.

I was forced to resign my job in VA due to a medical

Customer Question

Hi, I was forced to resign my job in VA due to a medical emergency in my family, and now the employer is withholding my final expense reimbursement check and payroll check until they determine if any assets should be returned. is this allowed?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: VA
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, just received the email this morning
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Employment Lawyer should know?
Customer: that pretty much is it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 4 months ago.

How much are you owed? are you asking for option to recover the money owed to you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am owed approximately $1671 for 1 weeks salary and $1000 in reimbursement expenses. I am not asking for an option to recover, I just want a legal response back to their email saying they are withholding all money due until they finish their audit.

There is no basis for such a delay. The amount is owing, and undisputed. The audit has no bearing on the obligation.

Kindly rate me positively.