ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I work company who contracts me out to third parties. the

Customer Question

I work for a company who contracts me out to third parties. the third party approached me and said that they would make me permanent. I was asked and said yes. they told me that they had to write a job description, so I wrote it for them. I have been waiting since Feb for this and all of a sudden this week my supervisor said that he is re-organizing and there is not a spot for my job title.
I have spent weeks at a time living in PA for this job and have passed up other offers because my boss always told me that he was working on getting the job in place.
I am now going to be out of a job because of this, do I have any legal rights?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. First of all, you need to understand that Pennsylvania is an "at will" employment state. At-will employment means that without a contract, you have no contractual or other right to employment with the company. The company is entitled to fire you for any reason: a good reason, a poor reason, or no reason at all--as long as the company does not fire you for an illegal reason (race, gender, age, religion, etc...). But it extends beyond firing, to hiring, promotions, demotions, wage cuts and raises, disciplinary actions, and even scheduling. Unless you can show that this was done in violation of a contract, union agreement, or a clear violation of an unambiguous and binding clause against the employer, or that it was done because of some minority status (age, race, gender, religion, disability) that you have, then they do have this discretion.

If you have any evidence that you were targeted due to your race, age, religion, gender or disability, you could potentially have a case. But even if you were made "permanent", the employment would still be at-will. Only if you could establish a written contract that guaranteed you a position for a specific period of time could you have a case based upon that breach. A gratuitous promise is not actionable, even when you give up other opportunities.

I agree that these actions were unethical, immoral and illogical, but that doesn't mean they're illegal. I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it 3 or more stars (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

I see that you STILL have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He did a good job answering my question and it was a complete answer.
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 5 months ago.

Thank you. Please rate this answer on your screen (there should be five stars, and you need to click the appropriate rating) so that I will get credit for my time and effort.

Can you see where you can rate the answer on your screen? Again,

Hello???